Murder, With An Excuse
(Murded Excused)

by Specs4ever

From the time my parents brought me at the age of one to the small town where I grew up I was thrust into the midst of women with myopia. My first memory of a person with strong minus lensed glasses was that of my mother’s Aunt Joan. Auntie, as we called her, was a lady of medium height, and while I wouldn’t have said she was really fat, she certainly hadn’t missed any meals in her life. Her older sister, my mom’s Aunt Ruth, was a little shorter, and wasn’t any thinner, although her glasses were a bit weaker in strength. My grandmother, the middle sister, was the same 5’ 3” height as her older sister Ruth, and was exactly the same pleasantly plump build. But, when I first got to know these three ladies, my grandmother was the only one of the three who did not wear glasses.

Ruth was the unmarried one. There had been a suitor at one time, but I can no longer remember the tragic end to Aunt Ruth’s romance. She remained a spinster, and lived in the old family home, where she had looked after my great grandfather until his death, long before I was born. When my parents came to town they purchased the farm that Auntie and Uncle lived on, and Auntie and Uncle John moved into the village to live with Aunt Ruth. Auntie and Uncle had been married for over 40 years, and had not had any children. So, my mom, and her brother were well supplied with gift giving Aunts. And my older cousin Janice and I were the first born of our generation, so our Christmases and birthdays were filled with gifts as well.

My dad left his job in the city to move us to the small town that my mother’s family had lived in for over 4 generations. My Uncle Carl and my dad went into business with my grandfather, who owned a company that made concrete blocks. This was just after the Second World War, and concrete blocks were in great demand. But the machinery for making them, and the trucks that were needed to deliver the blocks to the customer’s were very scarce. Dad had some connections in the city, and he was able to negotiate the purchase of 2 delivery trucks. The block machinery that was worn out before the war started was again rebuilt, and the blocks came pouring out of the moulds.

My cousin Steven was born just before we came to town, then my sister Judy arrived when I was 2. My mother was pregnant with my younger brother Frank a little more than a year later when my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer. Before Frank was born, Granddad was dead. And, by the time I was 5, I had a second sister, Sheila, along with another cousin Donald. This filled out our two families.

By the age of 5 I was starting to notice things. I marveled at how tiny and shrunken Auntie’s eyes looked behind the strong lenses of her glasses. I loved to look at her glasses. They were octagon glass rimless lenses, and the fronts of the lenses were totally flat. The rear of the lenses had a circle in them, and around the circle was an area that was sort of frosted. The temples were gold wire, and they were the type that wrapped tightly around the back of the ears of the wearer. Aunt Ruth also wore rimless lenses in her glasses, but her glasses were of an oval shape, and although the back of Aunt Ruth’s lenses were also ground off to make a flat oval ring around the edge of the lens, I could tell that they were not as strong as Auntie’s because they didn’t shrink her eyes as much.

Uncle’s first car that I rode in was a 1948 Ford Deluxe. It was jet black, and I think he washed and waxed it every day. Once in a while I got to ride in the back seat, and although I didn’t realize it at the time, Auntie was the worst possible passenger. As bad as her eyesight probably was, she considered herself his eyes, and she kept up a running commentary of what he should do, and when he should do it. Occasionally Aunt Ruth would sit on the other side of the back seat, and when Auntie was telling Uncle John where to go Aunt Ruth would look at me with a twinkle in her eyes behind the lenses of her glasses. Poor Uncle, he really was henpecked, although I didn’t realize that at the time.

After my grandfather died my grandmother lived alone in her home. She did not drive, and on every second Sunday afternoon Uncle would bring the 3 sisters to our house for Sunday dinner. The other Sunday’s found them at my Uncle Carl and Aunt Linda’s house.

My cousin Janice got her own pair of glasses that summer. According to what I overheard my mom and dad saying, Janice was quite nearsighted, and could end up with glasses as strong as Aunt Ruth’s. But when I saw Janice wearing her new glasses I could tell that they didn’t look anything like Aunt Ruth’s glasses. They were a lot weaker; although when Janice let me try them on I couldn’t see much of anything through them. And Janice told me that she couldn’t see very well without them anymore.

I have often wondered if this was the turning point for my fascination over ladies who wore strong glasses. Or was this just the tip of the iceberg. Did my fascination increase when I started grade school, and my first grade teacher, Miss Jones, a young lady in her early 30’s, was wearing very strong glasses. I spent a lot of my time in grade 1 and grade 2 staring at Miss Jones glasses. She wore the style of black plastic frames that were very common in the mid 50’s. These frames had gold metal bands around the bottom of the lenses, and the piece at the nose was also gold metal. Miss Jones probably had a stronger prescription than my Aunt Ruth, but I know it wasn’t as strong as my Aunt Joan’s prescription. Miss Jones had the circles sort of, because the inner edges of her lenses were beveled off at about a 45 degree angle.

My grandmother had been a classical pianist. I think it was more for something to do that she had begun taking in pupils to teach them how to play on her big old grand piano that occupied much of her living room. I remember her sitting at the piano on the days that she looked after me after school. She always wore a pair of glasses, and anytime she was reading her glasses were perched on her face. Her glasses were very different from the glasses worn by her 2 sisters. They sort of magnified her eyes, much like the ones Uncle wore when he had to read something. But then something strange started to happen. Grandma stopped wearing her glasses for reading and playing the piano. Now instead of putting on glasses she would bring her face up fairly close to her books. Finally she declared that she could no longer see well enough to read the notes and play the piano. So, my mother arranged to take herself, my grandmother, myself, and my 4-year-old sister to have our eyes examined. I wanted a pair of glasses for myself, but I was the only one who didn’t get a pair. My sister was found to be quite nearsighted. My grandmother was even more nearsighted, but the doctor used a special term to describe what was wrong with my grandmother’s eyes. The best way that I can think of to describe it was that my grandmother’s inner lens, which in most people has a power of around +20D, was getting thicker, and actually now had a power of around +24D. She could no longer see anything in the distance, but what was worse was that she had lost her ability to focus. She was supposed to either get 3 pairs of glasses, one for reading, one for middle distance, and one for normal distance, or a pair of trifocals. Of course, my grandmother was stubborn, and would only buy the one pair of distance glasses. And, my mother was also prescribed glasses.

It took a few weeks before a package came in the mail. Once my sister put her glasses on she was amazed at how clear everything looked. And, from that day on Judy wore her glasses constantly. My grandmother was happy to have her glasses, but to see her music properly she had to pull them away from her nose. And when she read, she would take her glasses off, and lay them on the table while she read, with the pages of her reading material brought very close to her eyes. I think my mom put her glasses on once, and for the rest of the time they sat in the top drawer of the desk in the den. Of course, I tried them on as often as I could. Unlike Judy’s glasses, I could see through them. But they really didn’t make much difference off, or on. The only thing was that there was an area at the bottom of the lens that magnified things when you looked through it.

From the words that were bantered around the dinner table that Sunday night that my grandmother first had her glasses, I figured that she had been pretty hard on her 2 sisters when they had started to wear glasses at an early age. Now they were paying her back for all the jibes she had dished out to them, and I could tell that she didn’t like it. But Auntie and Aunt Ruth were careful to stop before any harsh words were said.

My cousin Janice had only worn her glasses for a little over a year when she had to go back for stronger lenses. And around the same time, my grandmother, and my sister both had to get stronger lenses for their glasses. Now my grandmother had her old pair of glasses that worked well for playing the piano. Of course Auntie and Aunt Ruth had to get a few more digs in. And now, when I stayed over at my grandmother’s house I would sneak downstairs after the lights were out, and wear my grandmother’s weaker glasses. I got so that I could even read a book while I was wearing them.

But this didn’t do me any good. Every year at our annual eye exams Janice would be prescribed stronger glasses. Judy would also need an increased prescription. But I still had 20/20 vision. I was really upset when my little sister Sheila went for her first eye examination at the age of 4, and was prescribed glasses. I think I cried myself to sleep that night.

A couple of years later my grandmother got another, stronger pair of glasses. I was curious enough that I managed to get as look at the paper slip for her prescription, and it was somewhere around –8D. This was about the same prescription that Janice, now aged 9, and Judy, age 6 both wore. I loved their glasses, but hated the fact that I couldn’t wear them.

Since our house was about a mile away from town, I often stayed over at my grandma’s house on evenings when I played ball in the summer or hockey in the winter. And every chance I got I would sneak her old, weaker pair of glasses up to my bed, and I would read in bed wearing those glasses for as long as I could keep my eyes open. I could now focus quite well when I was wearing these glasses. I had discovered that they were about half as strong as her newest –8D glasses, so that would have made them around –4D. Sometimes it was a scramble in the morning to get back downstairs and replace the glasses before she got up, but for all the times I did it, I never got caught.

Janice, Judy, and Sheila all kept getting stronger lenses frequently. It seemed that one of the 3 would be complaining that they couldn’t see properly, and then all three of them would go off to the eye doctor, and they would all return home with a stronger prescription. But I kept passing the school vision test, so I never was able to get myself a pair of glasses. This was so disappointing.

A new dentist moved to town. He and his wife had 2 children that both wore glasses. Karen, the oldest girl was a little older than my cousin Janice, and I could tell right away that her glasses were not really that strong. By now Janice was probably around –10D or –11D, and Judy was right around the same prescription. Sheila, although 2 years younger than Judy, wasn’t any more than about –1D behind her for her prescription. Karen’s younger sister Carol was almost a year older than Judy and the glasses that Carol wore were much stronger than Judy’s. Carol’s glasses looked to be every bit as strong as Aunt Ruth’s glasses. Even though she was older Carol was in the same class as Judy was. I don’t know if it was the fact that they both wore very strong glasses that brought them together but Carol was always over at our house, and I was infatuated with her.

A few years earlier Uncle had traded in his immaculate Ford for a beautiful 53 Chevy Bel Air 4 door. Again it was jet black, but it had a white strip between the chrome at the back. Of course he had gotten older, and didn’t drive as much, but no matter where he went Auntie was along to tell him where to go, and how to drive. Aunt Ruth got sick the summer I was going into grade 7, and she didn’t last very long. I missed her a lot, as she was a very nice lady. I did manage to sneak off with one of her old pairs of glasses when we were cleaning out her drawers in her room though. I got the ones that I remembered her wearing when I was very young. They were the oval rimless ones with the edges ground off flat. I made sure I hid them in a very safe place.

It wasn’t too long after Aunt Ruth died that Uncle had to give up driving. He had cataracts, and couldn’t see well enough to drive. After he had the operation he had to wear glasses with very thick and funny looking lenses. By this time Auntie had gotten another new pair of glasses, and her glasses were exactly the opposite of Uncle’s. His new glasses bulged way out on the front, and made his eyes look all big and distorted. Her lenses, which appeared to be almost an inch thick, were in a large plastic frame and they were slightly dished in on the front, and had big circles that were dished in deeply at the back of the lens. Uncle had promised that I could have his car when I was old enough to drive as long as I would agree to drive himself and Auntie around when they wanted to go somewhere. I was almost 13 when he made this promise and I could hardly wait until I was 16, and could get my driver’s license. But, Uncle John died long before I was 16, and his car was sold. Auntie and my grandmother planned to move in together, but neither sister wanted to move out of their own house, and while the bickering went on for over a year, Auntie’s death when I was 15 put an end to the plans. Of course I helped prepare the house for sale, and I managed to get myself a keepsake again. I found the rimless octagon shaped myodiscs that Auntie had worn for so many years, and I carefully hid them away with Aunt Ruth’s old glasses.

I was constantly with Carol and Judy. Over the previous few years both girls had a number of prescription increases, and Carol had worn myodiscs for about a year. When I turned 16 and got my license the first thing I did was ask Carol to go to a show with me. Judy was a little upset that she didn’t get to tag along, but she did get over it. And, when Carol and I went to dances Judy always came along with us. Even Sheila was allowed to go to the dances with us until Judy got a boyfriend. I still made sure that Sheila was included once in a while, but Sheila was perceptive enough to see that she was better off not tagging along with the four of us.

My parents wanted me to go away to college, and eventually come back to town to take over my father’s share of the business. I had worked at the block plant since I was 13, and I enjoyed what I had done. The first year I unloaded the machines and stacked blocks. Then the next year I was able to run the loader to feed the cement plant. I did this until I turned 16 and got my license. After that I drove a truck. I loved all this outdoor work and I didn’t want to end up in an office. So, at 18, when I finished grade 12 I left school. I told my dad that I would not be working at the block plant that summer, and I got a job working for the largest construction company in the area. I was making really good money. I had been doing this for almost a year, and Carol had just turned 17. I asked Carol to marry me, and she accepted. I knew that she had a few more prescription increases, but with myodiscs it is hard to tell how strong they are. But I knew Carol’s had gotten a lot stronger, because her glasses were just like Auntie’s glasses. They were almost an inch thick, and were really dished in on the front now. When I found out that at age 17 Carol had a prescription for both eyes of around –23D I didn’t care. I loved her glasses.

My parents were upset that I was getting married. They both knew and liked Carol, but they had higher hopes for me. But they came to the wedding, and gave us the money for a down payment for a home. Carol’s parents liked me, and were quite pleased that we were getting married. I think that maybe they had wondered if their daughter, with her extremely thick and strong glasses would ever be able to catch a man, and they were happy with me.

Working in construction was boring me, and when I was laid off I managed to land a job as a custodian at the local high school. I rather liked this job, because I could feast my eyes on all the young myopic ladies that were attending school. Also, I was outside for a lot of the day, working on the grounds, so it wasn’t like a full time inside job. Like most government jobs the pay was acceptable, but the benefits were fantastic.

We had a wonderful marriage for the next 2 years. Of course Carol had her annual prescription increases, but she had only increased –1D a year, so she was now up to –25D. She was a little upset that her eyesight was so poor that she could not drive, but she eventually accepted this. Then a few months into our third year of marriage Carol became pregnant. We both wanted a child, so we had been doing a lot of practicing, and it eventually paid off.

By the time Carol was into her 5th month of pregnancy she began to notice that her vision was deteriorating rapidly. So we went to her eye doctor, and he advised us that Carol’s myopia had increased by a further –3D. Her prescription now was going to have to be –28D for both eyes. And, to make matters worse, it was going to be at least 3 weeks before Carol could get her new double myodiscs.

When she did get her new glasses I loved them. They were so completely different from any other pair of glasses I had ever seen. But Carol hated them, and before the baby was even born she started to blame the baby for the further deterioration of her eyesight. And, Carol was warned by a retinal specialist that her eye doctor had us see after the latest increase that any further pregnancies might cause retinal problems, so we would not be able to have any more children unless we wanted to risk Carol going blind.

Finally our child was born. She was a healthy 7 lb 6 oz baby girl, who we named Amber.

Carol changed completely after Amber was born. Now she was the most miserable person I knew. And as a result I was also becoming very unhappy with my life. I seriously considered leaving Carol. But, I knew that if I did that I would be financially responsible for Carol and Amber for the rest of my life. I thought about this problem constantly. Finally I came to the only possible conclusion, but this conclusion had a very big risk. You see, I realized that Carol had to die, and unless I could arrange something that looked like an accident, as the husband I would be the prime suspect.

One morning as I headed off to work I placed one of Amber’s stuffed animals at the top of the stairs, right where Carol would be placing her foot to go down the steps. I hoped an accidental fall might do the dirty deed for me, and I would have an alibi by virtue of being at work. About 10:30 I got a call from my mother in law. Carol had taken a tumble down the stairs, and was in the hospital. So I rushed over to the hospital. Carol was bruised and banged up pretty badly, but she wasn’t dead. And what was worse was that the fall had caused retinal detachments in both eyes. The specialist worked feverishly to save Carol’s eyesight. He performed what he called scleral buckles on both eyes, and he was able to reattach the retinas.

Carol was out of the hospital in a few days. Our first stop was at her eye doctors, where she had her eyes examined, and she was given a new prescription. The retinal detachments had added another –6D to her already massively strong prescription. Now her new glasses were going to be –34D. The fall didn’t improve Carol’s disposition. Fortunately she didn’t blame me for causing her tumble, but she did blame Amber, and her treatment of Amber went from bad to worse. I knew I was going to have to try again.

One Sunday afternoon we left Amber with my parents, and Carol and I went out on our small boat. Carol enjoyed being out on the water, and it was a perfect day. Carol was lying on the rear seat, with her prescription sunglasses within easy reach, and her bathing suit undone, allowing the sun’s rays to tan her back. I was just chugging along out in the lake. The roar of a powerful speedboat increased in intensity as the boat drew closer. I could see that we were going to be clobbered by the big rooster tail it was throwing up. Any smart boater knows that you are responsible for the damage that your wake does, so I was positive this guy was going to slow down. But if he didn’t? An idea came to my mind. If I cranked the wheel just as the rooster tail hit us, I could maybe swamp the boat. I had a life jacket on, but Carol didn’t. She had no idea of the impending disaster. The speedboat didn’t slow down, and I managed to hit his wake sideways. Over we went. Carol was thrown out, and so was I. Another boater who had seen this happen came rushing to our rescue.

I took off my lifejacket and threw it into the other boat. Then I dove for Carol. The water was deep, and I didn’t find her on my first dive. On my second dive I managed to reach her, but she was floating listlessly. I took my time bringing her to the surface, and the people on the other boat helped drag her into their boat. We tried mouth to mouth, but to no avail. Carol was dead.

The people on the boat that came to our rescue had recognized the speedboat. When we reached land of course we had to call the Sheriff, and the Sheriff came and took statements. The coroner took Carol’s body to the funeral home, and I was left to notify everyone about the terrible accident that had happened. On the way home I took Carol’s clear double myodisc glasses from the glove compartment of the car, and added them to my collection. I had all of Carol’s old glasses along with a pair of Auntie’s and a pair of Aunt Ruth’s in my collection.

The police arrested the driver of the speedboat, and charged him with manslaughter. I had to attend the trial, and when I gave my testimony I admitted in court that I had perhaps in haste done the wrong thing. I had tried to run away from the wake, instead of crossing it. The jury found the speedboat owner guilty, but because I admitted to the possibility that I had done the wrong thing, his sentence was probation, rather than jail. He was very thankful, and of course very apologetic for causing the death of my wife.

Carol and I had the type of insurance that paid double if the death was accidental. So I got a tidy sum of insurance money. Also our car and our house were insured so that they would be paid off in the event of either one of our deaths. So, Amber and I came out of this with no debts, a decent savings account, and a new car and a house that was paid for. I really didn’t have any regrets. Yes, I was sorry to lose my very own extremely high myope, but life with her over the past 2 years had been no fun at all for either Amber or me.

After about 6 months I decided that I wasn’t going to stick around this town any longer. I had been visiting all the schools in a nearby city to see if any of them required a maintenance man. Of course, during my visit I had checked all the young ladies who attended the school, as well as all the teachers to see if there were any high myopes that caught my eye. I found 3 students, and one teacher that were high myopes that I was interested in. So, I put my request for a transfer in to all 4 of the schools. Having had 4 years of experience in working for the board made it easy for me. I was accepted at 2 of the 4 schools. Now I had to choose between a myopic teacher, and a pert little blond myope that was in twelfth grade. Of course I chose the pert little blond’s school.

I hadn’t been working at the school for very long before I managed to acquaint myself with Bonnie. I had taken every opportunity I could to examine her glasses. They were a pair of heavy black-framed plastic glasses, with the type of straight temples that were occasionally used in the mid 60’s. Her lenses were definitely biconcave, but I suspected that the biconcave part was more for her right lens, as it appeared to be about –2D stronger than her left lens. The lenses were lightly tinted to a smoky brown. As shortsighted as Bonnie appeared to be, I thought her choice of temples was not very wise; however I ended up being glad that her glasses were not held tightly to her face. One day when I was outside working on a flowerbed she came running across the lawn with her books and her binder in her arms. She dropped one of her books and looked down to see where it had gone before she attempted to bend down to pick it up. Her glasses slid right off her nose and fell to the grass, and she froze, afraid to move in fear of stepping on her glasses. I spotted her predicament, and went over to help her. I picked up her glasses, and her book, and I slid her glasses back onto her face before I put the book back into her arms. The look of gratitude was one I would have died for, and she couldn’t stop thanking me.

Amber was now over 3, and while I hated leaving her with a sitter while I was at work I had no other choice. She did adapt pretty well though, and we were having a good time together. But, I needed an excuse to get to know Bonnie. I could not ask her out for a date, because that would get me in big trouble with the school board. Since the day I had rescued her glasses had given me an opening to speak to her, one day I asked her if she would consider being a baby sitter for me some weekend. She said she would, and I began a routine of going out every Saturday night. With Amber in the car I picked Bonnie up, and dropped her off at the end of the evening, and the two-mile ride each way gave me a great chance to get to know her. She was a nice person, and she wasn’t sure what she was going to do after she finished her grade 12. Of course she asked questions about Amber, and myself and she always asked me if I had found a girl I liked that evening. I always answered that I had not found anyone I liked as well as I liked her, and she would always blush.

Once in a while we would talk about glasses, and I found out that the frames she was wearing were not the frames she had originally chosen. She had broken her original frames, and these were the only ones her lenses would fit into properly. She felt that she really needed stronger glasses, because she was having trouble seeing in school, but her parents couldn’t afford to buy her another pair right now. Bonnie wanted contact lenses, but she had quite a bit of astigmatism, and the new contact lenses that were on the market now wouldn’t give her good vision without astigmatism correction. Of course we talked about my first wife, and her very strong glasses, as well as my sisters, and my cousin with strong glasses. And of course, on the rides home I would always tease Bonnie just a little about the fact that her being my babysitter was hindering her from getting any dates. But she would just reply that she wasn’t interested in any guys right now, and that she would have plenty of time to find a husband. It was Bonnie who suggested one night on one of the rides home that maybe Amber might need to have her eyes tested.

Bonnie was right. I took Amber to the eye doctor and she was prescribed glasses with a prescription of -2.50D. Amber looked darling wearing her glasses, and I made sure that I instructed her daytime sitter that Amber needed to wear her glasses all the time.

The school year was over, but I kept calling Bonnie to baby sit every Saturday night. She had taken a job as a cashier in a ladies clothing store. One of the first things she spent her money on was a new pair of glasses. She had just gotten her new glasses from the optical store on a Saturday morning, and when I picked her up she was wearing them. My first thought was that the optical store had done a pretty crappy job on them. The frame was a nice white and clear plastic, and the lens size appeared to be fairly small. But the lenses were deeply dished in at the front, and the rear of the lens was a myodisc, with a plus carrier. They were quite thick, and didn’t look as good as I had suspected that her prescription would have looked in such a small frame. She was very quiet on the ride to my house.

“How do you like your new glasses?” I asked.

“They are awful. They are so ugly I hate them.” Bonnie replied.

“They don’t look too bad to me. How strong is your new prescription?” I asked.

“-20.00 x –2.50 x 80 and –17.50 x –3.50 x 95 is what the paper said.” Bonnie replied.

“Then they look really good for such a strong prescription. Did you have a big increase?” I questioned.

“Yes, a bit of one, but these lenses are plastic instead of glass like my old ones. When I questioned the girl at the store about why they were so much thicker she told me that plastic is always thicker than glass. But no one told me that before I ordered them. Now I will never be able to find a boyfriend.” Bonnie almost sobbed.

“Well, I would love to be your boyfriend. I think you are a very pretty girl.” I replied.

“Really? Even with me wearing such strong glasses?” Bonnie asked.

“Amber’s mom wore even stronger and thicker glasses. Her glasses didn’t matter to me. She was a great person, and so are you.’ I replied.

Bonnie seemed to be a bit happier after our conversation. When we got to my house we let Amber watch television, and Bonnie and I sat in the kitchen talking. Finally Amber went to bed, and Bonnie and I started to watch an old movie that was on TV. Soon we started kissing, and hugging and just holding each other. I could hardly stand it. I wanted to make love to Bonnie so badly. But, I felt it best to wait for a while.

A month of dating was enough time. By then we decided that Bonnie would move in with Amber and I, so she did. Her parents were not really happy about our arrangement, but after her father and I had a discussion, I managed to convince him that my intentions were honorable, and marriage would be in the works. And, after about 6 months of living together we did get married.

We wasted no time in getting Bonnie pregnant. She did have a difficult time with the birth, but eventually we ended up with a darling little half sister for Amber. Bonnie really liked the name Sherry, so since I had no objections we called the baby Sherry.

Things went well for the next couple of years. The only hitch was that Bonnie had put on a lot of weight before Sherry was born, and she developed diabetes after Sherry was born. At first she only had to take pills, but after about a year of this her condition worsened, and she began having to give herself injections. Bonnie was not a good diabetic. She seemed to have a real problem keeping away from sweets, and I knew she would sometimes increase her insulin dosage after she had eaten something with a lot of sugar content. And, while she blamed the diabetes, I suspect that the weight she had put on and had never lost after Sherry’s birth might have been part of the cause for the diabetes. And, she had also gotten a lot more myopic, probably as another result of the diabetes, so her latest pair of glasses was now –22.50 x –3.50 x 80 and – 21.00 x –4.00 x 95

Sherry was about now 4 years old, and Amber was 9. Bonnie was turning into a lazy slob, and I was seriously thinking about taking Amber and heading off on our own. But, while I had no problem supporting Sherry, I did have a problem supporting her now fat and lazy mother. So, I decided that I would try for the other option.

I waited until Bonnie had opened a new bottle of insulin. She had only taken a few injections from it when I switched it for another new bottle, so that you could hardly tell. Then I moved the one bottle to my beer fridge. As Bonnie pulled down the second bottle I watched carefully, then I replaced bottle 2 with the first one. I managed to do this until both bottles were down to half. Then I took one bottle and filled it to the full mark with water, so once Bonnie finished the good half bottle, her supposedly new bottle would only be half strength. When she started into the half strength bottle I took the empty bottle, and another new bottle and I made 2 more half strength bottles. Bonnie was now going through insulin like crazy. I knew she was injecting herself with a lot more insulin than her doctor had recommended, although with my doctoring the dose was still correct. Finally the half strength insulin was all gone. I left for work that morning confident that my plan would work. Bonnie would give herself a second shot as she was used to doing, but this time instead of a total of one dose, she was going to get a double dose of full strength insulin. And, if I were lucky she would misjudge the reaction, and think that she possibly needed more insulin.

Around 11 o’clock I got a phone call from Sherry. “Mommy’s sick Daddy. Can you come home?” Sherry asked.

I left the school as fast as I could, and rushed home. Bonnie was lying on the floor, cold to the touch, and devoid of pulse. So I called the doctor, and the ambulance rushed Bonnie to the hospital. She was pronounced dead on arrival, and an autopsy found that she had died from an insulin overdose. My plan had worked.

The police of course questioned Sherry. Sherry was just old enough that she was believed when she told the truth. And her doctor knew that Bonnie had been very careless with her insulin usage. So, no suspicion ever fell on me. Well, maybe it did, but not enough for anyone to say anything anyway. After the funeral, when the funeral director handed me Bonnie’s glasses, I carefully took them home and added them to my collection.

Again our insurance policies had paid off the house, and a new car. I worked the rest of the school year and I put our house on the market. Now I had been widowed twice, and I was worried that if I married a third time, and had to consider the elimination of another wife it would cast too much suspicion on me. But I felt that so far I had no choice. I had done what I had to do, both for myself, and the kids. However, I was sure that a move was definitely in order.

The housing market was in a decline, and I wasn’t able to sell the house before the school year began. Also, I had found a stable, nearby sitter for the kids to stay with after school. Sherry was just beginning half-day kindergarten, and Amber was now in grade 5. So, I decided to remove the house from the market and stick around for at least another year.

There were no highly myopic students that had come up through the lower grades at my school now. And, while there were 3 new attractive female teachers, none of them wore glasses. So, I was actually going out to dances, and bars to see if I could perhaps spot anyone I might be interested in. But, there was nothing out there. Oh, maybe there were some high myopes hiding behind contact lenses, but I wasn’t interested in a contact lens wearing girl. So I was beginning to think that this was going to be a wasted year for me.

Bonnie had noticed that Amber appeared to be myopic before I had. So, since Amber had to go in for her yearly eye checkup, I also made an appointment for Sherry. When it was time for Sherry to go in to have her eyes examined I went in with her. There was no big surprise. Sherry needed glasses. Her prescription was going to be –1.75D for both eyes. Amber was on her 4th pair of glasses now. She was an old hand at having her eyes examined, so I sat with Sherry in the waiting room while Amber was in with the doctor.

Sure enough, Amber needed another small increase, and her prescription was now going to be –8D. We were standing at the reception desk waiting to make our co-payment when a lady came in to the office. She walked up to the desk and signed in. I recognized her, but I didn’t recognize her glasses. She was a pretty high minus and her glasses looked nice and thick and strong. I almost stammered when I said hello. This was Karen Doan, one of the 3 new teachers at my school. I hadn’t even realized that she wore contact lenses.

Of course Karen was interested in my kids. We conversed for a few minutes until the doctor called her name. I suggested that we would be willing to wait for her if she would go with us to the optical store at the mall and help the girls pick out frames for their new glasses. Let’s face it, this was a really dumb way to work my way into a date, but I didn’t have a better opening line. She thought about it for a minute, and then told me that she would probably have to go to the optician’s herself, so she wouldn’t mind helping my girls out. It wasn’t long before Karen came out, with what appeared to be a bit of a sour look on her face.

“So, you did wait for me. I wondered if you would. I can use a ride because I had to come here by taxi.” Karen said.

“Well, you did say that you would help my girls pick out new frames, and since their mother’s are both dead we sure can use a woman’s touch. How did your eye examination go?” I asked.

“I’d rather not talk about it, but since you are giving me a ride I guess I better tell you. I need a stronger prescription for my glasses, which I pretty well knew, and I can’t wear contacts for about a month because of an eye infection. So know you know.” Karen stated emphatically.

“Well those frames look really nice on you. Are you going to have your lenses changed?” I asked.

“And what would I use to see with for the next couple of weeks. They just don’t make my –22D prescription in an hour, much less overnight?” Karen asked with a trace of sarcasm in her voice.

“Sorry, but I never would have guessed that your prescription was so strong. Both my wives wore myodiscs when their eyes were that bad. You must have a really high index lens.” I replied.

“These glasses are only –21D, but you are right, I have 1.9 index glass for my lenses. My new prescription is –22.50, and I just hope I can get the same lenses.” Karen replied.

So, Karen assisted my girls with their frame selection, and we all assisted Karen. She was right. She wouldn’t have her new glasses for about 3 weeks. By now Karen was a lot friendlier with the girls and myself. I knew that Carol had a prescription of –23.00D when she was only 17, and I was sure that this was the first pair of Carol’s glasses that I had in my collection. So, I suggested that since Karen couldn’t drive with the glasses she was wearing, that I might possibly have a pair of glasses that she could wear just for driving at my house. She chose to come with me to see if I was correct.

I had never pulled my collection out in front of anyone before, and it felt a little strange to be doing so. I had 15 pairs, not including my daughter’s old ones. Karen was looking at all the stronger ladies ones, and she picked up Bonnie’s old ones and put them on.

“Shit, I can’t see a thing through these!” Karen exclaimed.

“Didn’t think you could. Those glasses are different in both eyes, and Bonnie had a lot of astigmatism. Here, try these.” I said as I handed her Carol’s –23.00D ones.

“Oh, these work pretty good. Who’s were they?” Karen asked.

“They belonged to my first wife when she was 17. Actually we were married with her wearing them. But they look a little old fashioned on you.” I replied.

“I think I could wear them to drive though. And they are not nearly as old fashioned as these are.” Karen said as she picked up Auntie’s old glasses and put them on.

“I have no idea what prescription those are. They belonged to my Great Aunt. They look fantastic on you though.” I said.

Karen looked around, getting her eyes accustomed to the lenses. She wasn’t squinting, but instead she appeared to see quite well through them.

“I promised Auntie that I would marry any woman who could wear her old glasses.” I said with a laugh.

“Well, I suppose that means we will have to get married. I can see perfectly through these old glasses. Can I borrow them?” Karen asked.

So I agreed to lend Karen Auntie’s old glasses provided she would go out with the girls and me for supper tonight. She agreed. Over the next few days at school I became accustomed to seeing Karen walking down the hall wearing Auntie’s old glasses. Actually she had created quite a stir when she first showed up wearing such an old fashioned pair of glasses. Like me, no one had even known that Karen wore glasses. She got a lot of compliments, and as the end of the week drew closer she stopped me in the hall to thank me for lending her the glasses. I took advantage of this opportunity to ask her for a date Friday evening, and she accepted.

This was the beginning of a wonderful courtship. Karen and I really enjoyed each other’s company, and Karen was wonderful with the girls as well. After we dated for a year I asked Karen to marry me, and she accepted. So we were married. As something old, Karen wore Auntie’s old glasses for the wedding, and she looked radiant.

Karen and I had 2 more children. Finally I had a son, as well as another daughter. Amber was doing well in high school, and her myopic progression was nowhere near as much as Carol’s had been. Sherry was still having increases, and she had inherited Bonnie’s astigmatism, for which I was sorry. Our 2 children were also nearsighted, but they were too young for me to determine what sort of a progression they would have. And I was very happy with my wonderful wife. I suppose that the third time in this case ended up being the charm. And, while I would never talk with anyone about it, I am pretty convinced that my little episodes of murder would have been excused.


August 2007.